Okay, so I'm usually a pretty quick learner, but this whole parenting thing has really got me. I wonder if I'll ever understand it. But today I had a little idea pop into my head tonight & I tried it. What do you know? It worked! And even though it might not be a breakthrough concept, I'll take that sweet little success and roll with it.
Here's how it went:
I was amazed at how much "crap" we had lying around the house. All of it the kids'. Shoes, homework, clothes, toys, books, anything. I knew I'd have to spend the whole night reminding kids to go look around the house to pick up their things. And I'd probably end up yelling....something I've been working on, well, for a very long time now. So I wondered how to solve that problem by not "shadowing" EVERY one of my kids. That would take "forever". The thought of making it into a game came to me.
The game? Follow the leader. I was the leader, the kids, each with a bag, had to follow me into every room I went in, including bathrooms, and had to pick up whatever belonged to them. Regan complained about it, but everyone else had fun finding their own things and picking it up. After filling their bags, they had to go put their things away. It took us 3 minutes to pick up our house and another minute to put them away. WOW!!! How simple and short. I got to supervise, not yell, and the kids actually enjoyed following me around. I'm totally going to try this again.
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Way to go! Don't you love those quiet whisperings of revelation that are pure inspiration and miracles sometimes? Wish I had thought of that years ago. :)
Post a Comment