Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bloom this and Bloom that!

I can say one thing for sure-I am dang glad that the elections are over and that Christmas is around the corner to spread a little cheer.

I wonder what to do for the holiday to make a difference in someone's life so that our family can experience Christmas for what it truly should be. I love Christmas I just don't always know how to channel my love for Christmas in the most effective ways that brings more joy to the soul. We have tried a bunch of things:
1. Spent excessively on ourselves and our kids (didn't do it for us.)
2. Sang Christmas Carols to people we know (yea! heard me sing lately?)
3. Took treats around and sang Christmas Carols (hoping that the treats would somehow help them forget the singing.)
4. Produced the 12 days of Christmas (awesome one, our kids still remember this and want to do it every year.)
5. Gave kind acts of service coupons to each other (OK, so who really did the service and who really pulled out that coupon to remind that special one to do their service-you know, to help them get their blessings?)
6. Ward Party (Uh-uh.)
7. Last year we had fun making "original gifts" for friends. We spent and inordinate amount of time making Pooping Reindeer...you got it my friends Pooping Reindeer. All time Classic and it brought a lot of laughter...but another year is here and in our efforts to be original we can't repeat.

OK- enough of that.

We just returned from a 1901 mile trip to Parowan, Utah. I know, I still ask the "Where in the world is that?" question and I have been there a time or two. Thank goodness for Google Maps, I'm telling you how did we ever get along without that time saver. Sorry Rand McNally you got nothing on the ease of the Google Map. I must say though that we enjoyed the trip a lot. The kids are getting older and can now do many more things in the car than they used to be able to do. For example our four year old has learned how to relieve of himself while still traveling at a near 80mph. OK, OK, I know what you are thinking..."That is so unsafe, what kind of parents are these maniacs!" I agree but believe me after 10 hours in the car you make foolhardy decisions. Wait, I must say we laughed pretty hard while teaching him this life skill I am certain he will use one day on his own road trips. It wasn't all that glorious but we laughed hard while it was happening. Questions like "Where do I point it" and "It is getting all over me" were hilarious. Mom didn't enjoy the clean-up.

Thanksgiving with the in-laws was enjoyable. The kids played together and basically we just had to see that they were fed more than mountains of unhealthy snack food and ice cream sandwiches that they became very good at sneaking. At least I think they were good at it. Now that I think about it I don't know if they were good or not as I was pretty much glued to the TV or to the wii. Sorry OK, this parent doesn't indulge in such luxuries while at home, he takes full advantage while on vacation.

Not being much of a blogger I just found myself wanting to write volumes of so many random things. I'll try and organize in a way that may provide some enjoyment and laughter.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Jim, I like reading your random thoughts. Kind of reminds me of my dad. Welcome to the blogging world.

Unknown said...

Wahoo!!! You're bloggers! I look forward to reading more of your work and seeing lots of pictures! And I LOVE your "about us" description!
Satina

Lani said...

I laughed a lot at this one. The images were "vivid"...

RCurtis said...

I like your random thoughts too. I think blogging is great! I'm definitely going to have to try it. I love the pictures of Tanner. Thanks for the good laugh!

Unknown said...

The relieving of one's self does take skill. We have experienced this fun fact of boy life many times. The best we heard was "my poop is coming out, wait it went back in." Prairie doggin' it is what we affectionately call it.