Sunday, October 28, 2012

Service

Lately I've been having a lot of different thoughts about service.  What is service?  To me, service means doing something for someone else that they can't do for themselves.  Usually this means that some form of physical service needs to take place; however, I've learned over the last month or so that not all service is physical. 

Maybe these thoughts have come because of my "new" calling.  I'm the second counselor in our ward Relief Society; over the mid-week RS meetings.  But with this calling, I've also been asked to help out my RS president by taking care of our ward's food orders.  This means visits with some families in my ward who are in need of some extra help a couple of times a month.  These "extra" visits in my schedule have really helped bless me with a better attitude of service.  I'm constantly wondering if these families are doing okay.  I'm not worried about why they need the help (which is what I was worried about.  I didn't want to be judgmental). And with those thoughts of these families comes the thoughts of if there are any others that need help, and if there's anything I can do for them.

But I'm also very aware of the fact that I can't help everyone.  So with that, I have learned that sometimes all I can do is pray for them.  And this is how my definition of service has expanded.  I'm grateful for these little lessons in life. 

1 comment:

RCurtis said...

Amen dear sister! Service is all about love. And, love is shown in so many different ways. Love you!