Sunday, August 28, 2011

Family Vacation 2011

This last week, we went to Farragut State Park, in Athol, Idaho, and camped for 6 days.  FSP used to be a US Naval training camp for WWII with a brig for German POWs and everything.  It's situated on Lake Pend Oreille (pronounced "Pond Orray"), which is 1150 ft deep in some areas.  That's why it was a naval training area.  They could train their submarine units there without any problems.  

We camped for 6 days and had a great time leaving "life" behind to play in the lake, ride bikes over many different trails & play a lot of games.  We also took the kids to Silverwood Theme Park for two days.  We rode roller coasters (even Tanner) & played at the water park.  They have the coolest water slides we've ever been on & two HUGE wave pools (and I'm not talking about the size of the pool, but the size of the waves), which the kids LOVED.  

We had a GREAT time together & are glad we tried out a "smaller" theme park before heading to Disneyland next year.  Now we have three days to finish getting ready for school to start.  I LOVE (& will miss) summer!

Bragging rights were earned by Regan (once) & myself (twice) for this CRAZY & very fun roller coaster.  It's called Aftershock, and I'm telling you, you'll have shaky knees for about 20 minutes after you get off.  Yeehaw!!
Inverted corkscrew & loop-d-loop on Aftershock

You ride this roller coaster forward & then backward starting and ending with two 90-degree, 177 ft. drops, reaching 65.5 mph.  Scream city...if your stomach isn't already in your throat.  : )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm, no thank you on the roller coaster. And what happened to going to Disneyland this year?

RCurtis said...

Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! I love reading the places you go because I've never even heard of them. It's fun to see places I've never seen nor heard of! And, way to go for riding the VERY SCARY looking roller coaster. My kids would love it!! My stomach and I would not. LOL